• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consent Laws NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

buqwaas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I am 18 right now but turning 19 soon and my girlfriend is 16...

Now, I am not going to do anything on my side until she is 18 cause I feel really uncomfortable with it to begin with...

What sort of things should I be careful with here?:)

The Occultist

Aside from simple pecks on the cheek, you cannot do anything with the girl. If the parents don't approve of the relationship, consider it terminated.

outonbail

Now, I am not going to do anything on my side until she is 18
I never did it on my side until I was eighteen.

Being on your back does get boring after a while,,,

although the way things have gone lately, I wouldn't mind being bored a while,,,,

buqwaas

I never did it on my side until I was eighteen.

Being on your back does get boring after a while,,,

although the way things have gone lately, I wouldn't mind being bored a while,,,,
Took me a few seconds to actually get the joke!:D

You know I was doing a google search on this and I found so many 27 year olds trying to hook up with 16 year olds...DISGUSTING...

Actually, reading all the crap has made me a little bit more paranoid about this relationship. What do you guys think?

For some reason we just click and shes really mature and looks older too...

buqwaas

You had me thinking ok until that. That's just creepy.
Why?:confused:

I am trying to not look like those guys who like younger girls...I struggled with this a lot in the beginning of the relationship. I tried telling myself i had no feelings for her just cause she was younger.

It took me months to get over it after several people with a similar age difference in their relationship spoke to me.

It really is I am a 100 and she is 97

Last edited:

The Occultist

It really is I am a 100 and she is 97
If this is truly the case, then you should have no problem telling her that things need to stop until she is 18; if it is true love then waiting such a small amount of time should not be an issue, n'est-ce pas?

Things you need to keep in mind: as OG pointed out, the age of consent is 16, so if she is 16 or older, then there is not a problem as far as "statutory rape" is concerned, but if her parents are against this relationship in the least, then you can still face [civil] charges.

cyjeff

Realize that her parents can hold your relationship with her hostage. You won't have very much leeway on this issue in the eyes of the courts until she is at least 17.
I swear that I am going to put together a highlights tape with all of your really stupid posts.

The girls parents rules have the force of law over the girl until she reaches the age of majority. Which is 18.

They can ground her or simply refuse to allow her to participate in the relationship. Their motivation doesn't matter. However, it is binding to the girl.

No court, in ANY jurisdiction, will invalidate a parent's wishes surrounding their minor child's dating habits until that child reaches 18.

Name me one case... just one... where an unemancipated child under 18 years old went to court to force mommy and daddy to let them date someone and won the case.

Just one.

Last edited by a moderator:

buqwaas

If this is truly the case, then you should have no problem telling her that things need to stop until she is 18; if it is true love then waiting such a small amount of time should not be an issue, n'est-ce pas?
Yeah, it really is something I want to wait for anyway because I would feel really uncomfortable. I just wanted to see what the legal standpoint is on the issue so I would know for sure.

Thanks guys...:)

outonbail

Only be sexually intiment with her in private.
Jane, advising an adult to only be intimate with a 16 year old "in private" is not the type of advise this site is here to provide. You're really stepping over the line when you start posting such nonsense.

You probably mean well and you may believe that you are helping people with their legal troubles by posting "your opinion".

However, I must point out one line, posted in the notice at the bottom of every page you open.

FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues.
The key word here being "experience"

Experience is not the same thing as "opinion" and an opinion without any experience, is almost always useless.

While there is no shortage of useless opinions being posted on the Internet, (some without spelling errors) this is not a site which can tolerate misinformation and moronic opinions. The reason being, on this site, someone may actually believe or follow the advise gained from a useless opinion and suffer some damage as a result.

So,,,,,,, I'm trying to say this as nice as I can,,,,

Please stop posting your opinion, it helps no one, while it distracts attention from the legitimate advice that is provided in the same thread as your drivel,,,,,,,,,,,,

If idiots recognized other idiots, it wouldn't be so bad, but as it stands,,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">