• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doubleup

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

I have a question regarding my current employer and their contract that I signed if I were to be fired/quit/etc. Currently I'm a contractor that has a contract with a big IT organization. The IT organization I work for wants to hire me directly, however my current contract says that I am unable to get hired on with any organization they have a contract through during employment and up to 1 year after termination.

Now I can understand not getting hired on directly with the IT organization while I'm working for the contractor, but can they really say that if I were to quit that it would be illegal for me to work directly for that IT organization? My contractor employer is not willing to let me transfer and threatened me with legal action. If I were to quit and apply for the IT organization could they really say I breached contract? I just don't see how they can do that. Additionally, say they were to lose contract w/ the IT organization and placed me in a job 40 miles away. They're saying I could not apply directly with that IT organization.

Anyone? Thanks in advance.

mlane58

Take your contract to a local attorney well versed in contract and employment law.

A Colorado statute invalidates non-compete agreements except in these limited circumstances: (1) contracts for the purchase and sale of a business or the assets of a business; (2) agreements with executives, management personnel, and their professional staff; (3) contracts for the protection of trade secrets; or (4) contracts for recovery of expenses for educating and training an employee who has been employed for less than two years.

ecmst12

Even if YOUR contract doesn't forbid you from being hired by the client company, the client company's contract might prevent them from hiring your.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">