• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Have I been left out of the Will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kermit99

I am a UK resident and had been very close with an old college friend who had moved to California. I last learned that he had contracted terminal cancer and have since lost contact with him. Sadly I have not received any notification from his family members of any developments since his submission for medical treatment.
After one year with no contact I have no alternative but to assume he has since died.
A key family member who lives in Canada appears to be deliberately ignoring all my attempts to make contact.

I have good reason to believe that I am a beneficiary in my friend's Will because he often hinted he would leave me certain specific valuables.

I am not familiar with US inheritance law and I am not sure which steps to take to contact the legitimate executor. If I could contact the executor at least I would know where I stand.

Is there a central register with this kind of information?
Does there exist a time limit to register as a rightful beneficiary?
I suspect that I am purposely being ignored by his family members. Is it possible that they could benefit by ignoring my existence?

I would be grateful for any helpful advice.

Dandy Don

If you know what city he died in, you will need to contact the county courthouse probate court for that city. If you don't know the name of the county, then mention the name of the city he died in and I can get the county name for you.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">