• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Portland, OR: Parking Ticket (Parking in a crosswalk)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billyliberty

I live in Oregon. (Portland.)

Earlier today, I went out to retrieve my car and it wasn't where I parked. I called and found out it had been towed for "blocking" a crosswalk. This is a residential neighborhood, so when I parked I made sure to not block the handicap ramp for the sidewalk. It was on the other corner of this intersection, so I thought I was fine.

When I went to pick up the car, after I paid the towing fee, the man at the counter handed me a stack of parking tickets. There were six, each for $50, given in all over the course of a week all for the same infraction. As an aside, I live close to the downtown area in Portland specifically so I can take public transportation as much as possible. As I live in an apartment without a dedicated parking space, I have to park on the street which is usually blocks away from my home. Needless to say, I often leave it for a week or more as I drive rarely.

Is there anything I can do about the redundant parking tickets? Obviously if I would've seen the first one, I would've moved. I don't agree that I was blocking an intersection, but I would be fine with paying one of the tickets. I don't really understand why they would continually ticket the car for days prior to towing.

The specific infraction was 16.20.130-Q

Also, does anyone know what the requirements are for a ticket given in Oregon? (In other words, the requirements for the parking enforcement to include on the ticket, like license plate number, expiration date for the plates, et cetera.)

Thanks in advance for reading this and for any help.

Last edited:

The Occultist

Were an officer was so inclined, he could write you a new ticket for each minute that you were in violation; being parked illegally for a whole week, this means you should be thankful that you only have 6 tickets, n'est-ce pas?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">