• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

previous employer, what can they say???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baudette123

Hello. I was let go by previous employer. I may be interviewing with another company who knows i work, or used to, there. If this new company were to contact the previous one, what type of questions are legally allowed to be asked/answered by them?

cyjeff

Any question may be asked that doesn't violate discriminatory hiring practices (your age, national origin, race, sexual inclination... etc).

Any answer may be given that is true, opinion or honestly believed to be true by the answering party.

There is a huge myth that a former employer can one give your dates of employment, salary and whether you were fired or quit.

That is wrong.

If your former employer wants to mention your personal hygene, your thefts or your attendence record, they may as long as they speak the truth, their opinion or a truth they honestly believe to be true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">