• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juvenile shoplifters in Idaho?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiggertoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

We live in Oregon, but my 2 sons (14 and 16) were caught shoplifting in Idaho today. This is a first-time incident for both. They were caught on video (which I saw). They have been banned from the store until they turn 18 (unless accompanied by me or their dad).

What can we expect in terms of fines? Restitution? Diversion program? Placed on their record? I'm especially concerned because we live out of state.

The Occultist

Were the police involved? If so, what were they charged with (statute numbers are helpful)? As far as the courts are concerned, you sons will likely be facing some fines, community service, and probation. If the police were not involved, then you'll likely have nothing to worry about with records and court fees and all that.

Whether or not police were involved, as far as the store is concerned, they can legally demand a civil demand/restitution over the situation, and this will likely be a dollar amount in the hundreds (possibly each).

tiggertoo

Yes, police were involved, but everything was taken care of at the store. They released the boys to us (me and my husband), and we did not have to go to the station. The only piece of paper I left with was a copy of the incident form from the store (nothing from the police at all). When we left, they told us that we would next be hearing from the legal department at the store's headquarters on the east coast about fines, etc. (no idea of a timeline, though), but I'm not sure about what will happen in terms of the Idaho court system, whether to enlist the help of an attorney, etc.

The merchandise total was $96 for one of the boys and over $350 for the other (ugh). The police told us they would be charged with "theft," but that's all they said.

Antigone*

Be ready for some sizeable civil penalties at the very least.

I would have the kids start working to pay off the debt they will be incurring. Dog walking, lawn cutting, house cleaning and car washing are all viable options.

This way you at least teach them about accountability.

tiggertoo

They actually both have jobs (and had money with them to purchase Christmas presents when they did this), and absolutely NONE of these fines are coming from me or their dad--they are very aware of this. We are having them write letters of apology to the retailer, also.

My boys are the kind of boys that neighbors have do favors for them, whether that be shoveling their drive or raking leaves. They volunteer for several charity organizations. Teachers assign them extra duties in the classroom, and they both get good grades, and neither does drugs or alcohol...so this came as a shock to me and their dad. They were actually WITH us at the time, purchasing Christmas gifts (both had already purchased quite a few before they were caught).

Thank you for your help.

The Occultist

If the police said they would be charged with theft, then that is still a possibility; depending on the exact charge, they likely have at least a year to send the citation(s) to you through the mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">