• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my aunt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mugglebornmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
A couple of months ago my mother died from lung cancer, I took care of her, was her caregiver until I could no longer do it, then I placed her in a nursing home where she died a couple of weeks later. I also had DPOA. She has one remaining sister who has severe dementia and who seems to be declining quickly. Her husband (my uncle) brought her over for Thanksgiving and pulled me aside to talk to me. He said my mother's death really opened his eyes as to what would happen to my aunt if something happened to him. He said his son (from a previous marriage, my aunt is his second wife) is executor of his estate and all monies but asked me if I would be my aunts guardian if something happened to him. He then said I would probably have to go to court to do this! Of course I want to make sure she is taken care of, but what will being a guardian entail? How can I do this if her money is tied up with someone else?

All I could think of to tell him is to get a durable poa for me and to make sure he keeps a careful log of all of her medications, routine and care that he provides her so I have some clue as to how to help her. I also suggested that they both start looking for an assisted living care facility NOW. I personally think she is too much for him to handle now.

Call me crazy but I feel like she is going to be dumped in my lap to care for without any money or help to do so. What can I do to protect myself and my aunt?

Dandy Don

A consultation with a family law attorney can get your questions answered. And what you will probably get is a conservatorship, since a guardianship usually refers to taking care of a child, not an elderly adult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">