• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2nd. ammendment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ibpattijean

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was recently fount guilty by the courts of domestic violence. Because (I'm told) of extenuation circumstances, (my age factor, gender- 61-female, general health) & no previous infraction of the law) after months of being ordered back into court, the judge found me guilty. ordered me to pay x amount in restitution & sentenced me to 80 hours of community service. Upon leaving court I was handed the court minutes along with a "Prohibited Persons Notice Form & Power of Attorney for Firearms & Disposal" (Penal code section 12021(d) (2) I have been the registered legal owner of a gun for over30 years. No gun was involved in my crime( I smacked my boyfriend across the face-ONCE) He called the police-I was arrested & spent 3 days & 4 nights in the county jail! What does this notice mean? Have I lost my 2nd. ammendment right to legally bare arms to protect myself completely? What can I do?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was recently fount guilty by the courts of domestic violence. Because (I'm told) of extenuation circumstances, (my age factor, gender- 61-female, general health) & no previous infraction of the law) after months of being ordered back into court, the judge found me guilty. ordered me to pay x amount in restitution & sentenced me to 80 hours of community service. Upon leaving court I was handed the court minutes along with a "Prohibited Persons Notice Form & Power of Attorney for Firearms & Disposal" (Penal code section 12021(d) (2) I have been the registered legal owner of a gun for over30 years. No gun was involved in my crime( I smacked my boyfriend across the face-ONCE) He called the police-I was arrested & spent 3 days & 4 nights in the county jail! What does this notice mean? Have I lost my 2nd. ammendment right to legally bare arms to protect myself completely? What can I do?
When you assault someone and are convicted of that assault you lose your right to own a gun. Since you have already proven to the state that you have anger issues and control issues they want to make sure that you don't have access to a firearm.

CdwJava

What does this notice mean? Have I lost my 2nd. ammendment right to legally bare arms to protect myself completely? What can I do?
It means you have to divest yourself of ownership and possession of any and all firearms.

The only realistic way around this would be to get the conviction overturned (very difficult if you plead guilty), or, seek an expungement order (after any and all probation conditions and time has been served) which specifically includes the restoration of firearms rights.

Failure to relinquish the firearms can result in your imprisonment.

- Carl

SIN EATER

I believe that's a ten year prohibition with domestic violence.

I also own guns and enjoy shooting. However, I realize that if I am involved in DV (protective orders, verdict of guilty, plea of no contest) I can't own, possess or be around 'guns'.
Similarly, the feds won't allow me to have 'guns' if I have a drug conviction.

This includes any guns others whom you live with, own.

It's a good law.
If you lose your temper and resort to violence, you shouldn't own, or have access to, guns.
Ditto if you go drugs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">