• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

End up homeless because of this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krystal43616

I'm in Oregon, Ohio, a suburb of Toledo.

After some personal problems, I had to move back in with my elderly parents in 2003.

I'm 40 and an only child, my mother is 76, father is 77 with early Alzheimer's.

Mother and I are considering placing father in an extended care facility/"nursing home" because he is difficult to take care of - mother has health issues of her own.

My name is on the deed to the house/property as of October 2007.

This is the only home we have ever had and there are NO other relatives we can turn to for help. We are living social security check to social security check and barely making ends meet with that.

If father does end up in a nursing home will my mother and I wind up homeless? That is to say, will the nursing home take the house to pay for my father's care?

Any ideas about this situation would be greatly appreciated.

tranquility

People have to pay for their medical care and have the duty to spend their own money to a certain point before the state will pay. The home could have been, at least partially, protected if it remained in father's hands. But because the medical expenses will most likely be in what is known as the "lookback" period and because it won't have the personal residence protections of the law, the state will almost certainly go after the home to pay for the medical care first.

I am uncertain if the problem set up by improper planning can be rectified. You must see an Eldercare attorney for a consultation in your state to even have a chance of saving it in relation to the costs which would be your parent's responsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">