• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help. I'm facing a personal crisis.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GoodPerson82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I got into an altercation a few months ago where i was wrongfully arrested and beaten up
by a hot-headed officer. He covered his own butt by saying I tried to attack him soo it was
only necessary for him to attack me. the crime itself was completely fabricated to it's
most minute details (police report was like completely fiction).. the guy was a rookie cop,
6-months on the job, history of violence, etc. Now I find myself having to deal with life
as a student trying to support himself, and live a normal life, yet i'm stigmatized due to
probation and the fact that i'm in PRE-TRIAL INTERVENTION... Now, I'm stuck in limbo.

Since the economy is so bad -- i'm having a tough time doing the 70 hours of community
service.. My family had a very rough year, my father died unexpectedly -- etc. etc.

it's not that i got convicted.. i was only detained and charged..
but it's not like i got it thrown out or anything.. i wasn't really acquitted
in fact, it was left unaddressed. i never even had to plead guilty or innocent..
Is it possible to regain some of my name / reputation --- even if technically records
are expunged.. your ability to apply or be eligable for government jobs or say work
with children, or subject to federal background checks?

Also If i don't finish my community service in time -- will they lock me up!?

Last edited:

PTI will still allow companies to see the charge and the fact you deferred prosecution. Expunging your record is difficult and unlikely, sealing the record is more probable. Government agencies can still read your sealed and depending on the job expunged records. Some crimes can not be expunged or sealed though.

Your PTI agreement will not be honored if you did not hold up your end of the deal (community service, fines) but there is no guarantee that you will do jail time, only that you will face a trial based on your initial charges.

baystategirl, are you kidding? This was a short post compared to others you have read and replied. Please don't assume that you speak for everyone again.

Last edited:

GoodPerson82

If that's the case. then my lawyer completely lied to me and told me otherwise.

so what can I do now? Is it possible to clear my name? (ever?)

Last edited:

tranquility

You cannot "clear" your name. If you have community service to complete, you have been convicted. Everything else is rubbish which should have been dealt with beforehand. If you don't complete it, you will go to jail. Sorry life is hard. I wipe my wife's anus after she has a bowel movement because she can't.

Compare and contrast.

GoodPerson82

You cannot "clear" your name. If you have community service to complete, you have been convicted. Everything else is rubbish which should have been dealt with beforehand. If you don't complete it, you will go to jail. Sorry life is hard. I wipe my wife's anus after she has a bowel movement because she can't.

Compare and contrast.
wow. from where to where?

GoodPerson82

Compare and contrast.
also, realize you know very little about my life.

!st of all, I'm not hear to judge and I certainly wasn't around when this happened.

The three things that are in your favor;

There wasn't a trial, where you could face your accusors.
Besides this your record is clean.
If someone didn't video tape the beating of Rodny King, he probably would have spent years in jail. All the police involved gave false statements.

Everybody knows that you are not going to win a fight against a group of police, so unless you are bigger than a tree, on PCP, or have a long extensive record that you are not going to start one. I imagine that the DA new this too.

My advice is to bite the bullet and get the community service over with as fast as possible, and remember, All police are not like this.

Good luck

Just Blue

PTI will still allow companies to see the charge and the fact you deferred prosecution. Expunging your record is difficult and unlikely, sealing the record is more probable. Government agencies can still read your sealed and depending on the job expunged records. Some crimes can not be expunged or sealed though.

Your PTI agreement will not be honored if you did not hold up your end of the deal (community service, fines) but there is no guarantee that you will do jail time, only that you will face a trial based on your initial charges.

baystategirl, are you kidding? This was a short post compared to others you have read and replied. Please don't assume that you speak for everyone again.
The post PRE-EDIT took up two postings. It was aprox 15 long paragraphs.

GoodPerson82

!st of all, I'm not hear to judge and I certainly wasn't around when this happened.

The three things that are in your favor;

There wasn't a trial, where you could face your accusors.
Besides this your record is clean.
If someone didn't video tape the beating of Rodny King, he probably would have spent years in jail. All the police involved gave false statements.

Everybody knows that you are not going to win a fight against a group of police, so unless you are bigger than a tree, on PCP, or have a long extensive record that you are not going to start one. I imagine that the DA new this too.

My advice is to bite the bullet and get the community service over with as fast as possible, and remember, All police are not like this.

Good luck
thank you for the advice

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">