• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment insurance not paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toddmorello

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio

I was terminated from a construction company on Aug 31. When I went to go file for UI, they said I didn't work enough to qualify. I had worked for the company for 8+ months. I questioned this and UI said that my employer has not been paying into the program, therefor, I cannot apply for benefits. UI has not been very helpful and I'm in danger of losing my house and property.

Secondly, he owed me 115 hours of pay and never paid me

Third, I gave him a deck job from my Mother that I could have done myself but included my former employer to keep us busy, he let me go right before he started the job. When the job was concluded. I held back approxiamtely 115 hours wages from the bill. He has threatened to place a lien on my mother's property.

Fourth, he has not paid any of my taxes, but witheld the monies from my checks

what are my options and positions of strength and weakness?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

Legal self help is never a good idea. Pay what you owe for the job, and file a wage claim with the DOL.

ecmst12

Impatience will not get you very far either, you posted at night on a holiday weekend and waited less than an hour before you felt the need to "bump"?

toddmorello

perhaps you don't understand my urgency......i have no job, ive been denied benefits, ive been denied my wages, im in survival mode...and this is a HELP board i thought.

I have filed a claim.....it is being "investigated"

i want to know if i can hire an attorney and have a shot at recouping my money

ecmst12

This is a VOLUNTEER board, it's not staffed 24/7.

The DOL will get you your money, eventually. It will not be particularly fast, but a lawsuit won't be much faster and that will cost you more money.

toddmorello

you responded quickly enough, thank you

so, is the unemployment office not the same as DOL?...do I need to start a seperate investigation with them?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Perhaps you don't understand. Even if someone had responded the very first minute after you posted, there's nothing you can do before Monday anyway. So pushing the volunteers to respond after 9:00 on the Saturday of a holiday weekend is only going to get people mad at you.

In most states the UI office is a division of the DOL but frankly I'm not of a mind to look it up for you just now to see if that's the case in Ohio.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">