• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of Attorney Rights vs Adult Protective Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TLCHHDS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I reside in NY and I have Power of attorney given to me by my father who also resided in NY at the time. He has been placed in a nursing home in PA. After I received POA I proceeded to sell his property, a 39 year old trailer located in a trailer park in a very bad section of town. I was unable to sell the property partly because the family interested in buying it backed out of the deal after months of negotiating and partly because during all this time the lot rent was still being charged to my father. His Social Security payments had been discontinued and I could not afford to pay his lot rent. Now Adult protective Services have been asking about Dad's money from his trailer. I thought that being POA didn't make me liable for his bills. My father has been in the nursing home for over a year. His lot rent was $278.00 per month. It hasn't been paid in 10 months. Please tell me the responsibility I have in this situation and what kind of legal issues can ensue from this.

msiron

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I reside in NY and I have Power of attorney given to me by my father who also resided in NY at the time. He has been placed in a nursing home in PA. After I received POA I proceeded to sell his property, a 39 year old trailer located in a trailer park in a very bad section of town. I was unable to sell the property partly because the family interested in buying it backed out of the deal after months of negotiating and partly because during all this time the lot rent was still being charged to my father. His Social Security payments had been discontinued and I could not afford to pay his lot rent. Now Adult protective Services have been asking about Dad's money from his trailer. I thought that being POA didn't make me liable for his bills. My father has been in the nursing home for over a year. His lot rent was $278.00 per month. It hasn't been paid in 10 months. Please tell me the responsibility I have in this situation and what kind of legal issues can ensue from this.
Of course the lot rent would still be due!

Why was his SS discontinued???? What do you mean?

Your not liable for his bills however as his poa you should man up to taking care of the responsibility of doing what a poa does.

Likely the lot owner can lien the trailer for back owed lot payments.

Tell aps that there is no sale yet = no money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">