• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired for solicitation of a prostitute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hubbabbubba73654

I'm from Okla., this happen in Jacksonville,Fla.. i was arrested for solicitation of a prostitute. I was on days off cause trailer was in shop. I was not in uniform. The rental car i had was on my personal cr.card, but they always have paid me back. They said the car was under there name, but i had not been paid back yet, so i figured it was in my name. And while i was in jail, the job got cancelled that day on Jan. 30th, got out of jail the next day about 2pm. I called my company, told them i was out of jail. My partner had done told them i was in jail. Anyway they said to go home. Nothing else to do down there. Friday
Feb. 9, when they called me and told me they had let the human resources board review it, and decided to let me go on that account. I had worked for this company 6 mo..All the bosses i worked for said i was i excellent worker. My MVR is clean with 0 points on it. Can they fire me for this, when i was on my days off and everything. Thank You, Keith

B

buddy2bear

It sounds as if you are a long-haul trucker -- The truck driver is responsible for the security of the load. Because you were arrested for an illegal act (even on your on time), your company thinks that you are no longer a "responsible" person and therefore can not be trusted. They certainly don't want a future load to sit on the side of the road while you are in jail. There are occasions when a long-haul trucker must be bonded -- you would present problems in this area. There are also load insurance considerations that you might not be aware of. The insurance they carry on a load might specifically specify "no criminal record."

The company is also looking at the fact that you are going to have to appear in court proceedings, which means that you will lose time from work.

You have only worked there for 6 months -- not a lot of investment and as far as you know, it just might have been an "introductory period."

I suggest you worry about cleaning up this mess and trying to make sure you don't have a record. Otherwise, you are going to have a hard time finding another truck driving job. A motor vehicle record is not the only thing companies look at when they hire you to drive their trucks.

H

hubbabbubba73654

fired for solicitition of a prostitute

Thanks for replying. I have couple more guestions, if i may ask. I'll try to make it more clearer. I'm not a longhaul driver. I was hauling fuel for Flying J Trans., which 99% of loads are under 100 miles for them. I do understand the driver is responsible for loads, log books, etc.
I talk bluntly, so don't take this hatefully against you or anyone else. I'm trying to be respectful and polite.
I do understand kinda now, that i have to be bonded, and some insurance loads specify "no criminal record". I had forgot about that.

They know that i plead guilty, and paid my fines. Was that a mistake or not. If so is there any way i can go back down there and change my plea, or just have to get a lawyer to see if he can get it off my record if i have one down there (in Fla.). Sense i plead guilty, i wouldn't have lost any more time from work.

Yes, it might have been an introductory period, i didn't relize that.

Can you give me any advice on how to find out if i have a criminal record down there. Can a lawyer down there find out or will i have to contact the courts down there.

Do i have any grounds to stand on to sue Flying J, for severence pay, they gave no reason for firing me, etc.
Your last paragraph scared me, about being hard to find another driving job. I will try to clear this mess up. Thanks a million for you advice, Keith

B

buddy2bear

No you can't sue your x-employer -- what for? They have the right to hire/fire anyone they want so long as they don't break any laws. It appears that they have not broken any laws.

You paid a fine -- which automatically entered you as "guilty." Look through your paperwork or call the clerk's office of the particular court in Florida and ask if your case was considered a misdemeanor. Surf the web or ask the clerk how you file for an expungement of the record. Usually, you can do this 3 years after and depending on what kind of case it was.

Even if you were found "not guilty," you would still have a record of the charge and the result. Not fair, but that is the way it is. In that case, "not guilty" or "nolo processed," you could file a petition for immediate expungement of the record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">