• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unpaid seat-belt ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adman

Summer 2007; Crawling along at roughly 5 mph whilst looking for the dirt road entrance to a fairground in rural Oregon, my buddy and I get pulled over by a cop (ON A MOTORCYCLE!!!) I get a no seat belt ticket (AS THE PASSENGER!!!). :eek:

We'd just left our campsite, and were making the roughly 1 mile journey to the annual Oregon Country Fair when this all happened. Yes, obviously this stretch of road was/is a well plied, well oiled little cash cow for local law enforcement.

To date, I haven't paid it.
1. I was so beside myself by the irony; (5 mph..., passenger..., motorcycle cop), that it has just become very much a "principle" issue.
2. My driver's license is from Wisconsin
3. I live in Taiwan, and IF I ever move back to the US, I know FOR SURE it won't be to Oregon.

I'm now receiving threatening letters (being sent to my parents house) from a collection agency, and the original $100 ticket is now at $180 (and growing). :mad:

I really don't want to be thinking about this at all, but thoughts of interstate cooperation and having my license revoked/suspended if I end up living in Chicago in 2012...

Q: What am I really risking by blowing this off? Is there any statute of limitations on such a ticket? :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are required, by law, to deal with this ticket. Your "principles" leave a LOT to be desired. If all you have to do is pay the $180, then I suggest you do it.

CdwJava

You can blow it off at your own risk. But, if a warrant has been issued for the failure to take care of the citation, don't be surprised by an arrest. Plus, don't be surprised if you find that you get stopped one day and find you no longer have the privilege to drive and that your car gets towed.

If you plan on staying in Taiwan forever, you probably don't have to care. But, if you come back, well ...

Good luck.

- Carl

The Occultist

Statute of Limitation refers to the time between when the crime was committed and when charges were brought against you; charges were brought against you the moment the officer gave you the ticket, so it doesn't apply to you.

If this has been sent to collections, then you're really going to want to take care of this as it will end up affecting your credit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">