• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if payment accepted with check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ilovesandy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I sent payment for a parking ticket on the day the ticket became passed due, paying the lesser amount.
I assumed the parking violations bureau would either give me a break for being 1 day late, and accept my payment, or send it back if they deemed the payment insufficient to cover my new late fees.
The check was cashed by them, so I assumed that settled the ticket. It turns out I now have a balance on the ticket for the late fee.
I though once a check was cashed , the person cashing the check agreed that the payment was settled.

Do I contest the amount owed because they cashed my check?
Thanks

Antigone*

They would have cashed your check no matter what. You still owe a balance - you are better off taking care of the issue now and not let it go any further.

Next time I suggest sending the check in earlier or making the payment in person if you've waited until the due date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">