• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Helpp!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ancilla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

So, I had a major lapse of judgement this past September and I tried to steal $60-70 worth of merchandise from a Rite Aid in Seattle. I was stopped while trying to walk out the store, had my bags searched, and was taken downstairs. They filled out a report thing took a picture of the merchandise and called the police. At the time I was 17, so the Rite Aid employees didnt have me sign anything. When the police showed up they didn't give me a citation, officially arrest me, take a picture, take fingerprints or anything like that.

After calling my aunt, they let me go on the bus home. They told me that I wasnt allowed in Rite Aid anymore, but neither I or anyone for me signed anything and I just left.

I now am getting letters from Palmer and Associates wanting me to pay them. I have researched the company and have seen that they are involved with a lot of so called "fraud" and am confused as to what to do.

If anyone could Help I would appreciate it.

-Ancilla

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

So, I had a major lapse of judgement this past September and I tried to steal $60-70 worth of merchandise from a Rite Aid in Seattle. I was stopped while trying to walk out the store, had my bags searched, and was taken downstairs. They filled out a report thing took a picture of the merchandise and called the police. At the time I was 17, so the Rite Aid employees didnt have me sign anything. When the police showed up they didn't give me a citation, officially arrest me, take a picture, take fingerprints or anything like that.

After calling my aunt, they let me go on the bus home. They told me that I wasnt allowed in Rite Aid anymore, but neither I or anyone for me signed anything and I just left.

I now am getting letters from Palmer and Associates wanting me to pay them. I have researched the company and have seen that they are involved with a lot of so called "fraud" and am confused as to what to do.

If anyone could Help I would appreciate it.

-Ancilla
Ancilla,

This is the price you are going to have to pay for your error in judgement. Not only can there be criminal penalties to what you have done, but there are also civil penalties. These are the civil penalties.

You see stores have to pay for extra security to stop thieves. A way to help recoup some of the extra cost without passing it all on to the customers is the the use of civil penalties as allowed by the law.

This can also be seen as punitive. You see hopefully this will teach you a lesson. Please be mindful that these fees are completely separate from any criminal restitution you might be asked to pay.

You have incurred a valid debt - get a job to pay for this as well as anything else you need to purchase. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">