• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who controls UGMA if I die?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, Michigan, Indiana, California

I am a Florida resident. I have recently set up a will and trust here in Florida. My son, who is in California, is the executor. I have one minor child for whom I have a 529 for her college and a UGMA (uniformed gifts for minor act) account; this account is also for her college. I currently manage the accounts. The 529 is tied to my social security, with my daughter as beneficiary.

My X is in Michigan. The UGMA account was set up in Indiana.

I'm trying to figure out who would manage these accounts if something were to happen to me. I am wanting my son to manage (he's doing well in managing his own) until she got to college. If her father were to get his hands on them, well, they would be disipated.

How do I make sure that the account is managed properly, by my son, until she would be ready for college?

I currenly consider the trust and will "drafts" as I will change them to make sure that these two areas are well covered. I figured that the first pass would allow me to tweak it to make sure that the minor child will be fully covered in school.

I am assuming that the minor child would land up with dad if something happened to me.

seniorjudge

Doesn't the UGMA have a provision to allow you to set up a successor guardian/trustee (whatever you call it)?

Ask the folks who set up the UGMA for you.

anteater

Doesn't the UGMA have a provision to allow you to set up a successor guardian/trustee (whatever you call it)?

Ask the folks who set up the UGMA for you.
Same for the 529. You did not mention which state 529, but all that I have seen provide for the designation of a successor owner(s).

TinkerBelleLuvr

I'll call the broker who set up the original UGMA account and make sure that my son is successive executor.

Guess ditto on the 529.

I just want to ensure that they go for my daughter's college education.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">