• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reverse Mortgage for gift money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Casey_13

New Jersey/Virginia

My 70 year-old mother wants to take out a reverse mortgage on her fully paid off home. From the money she receives she wants to give me $80,000 to use as a down payment on a home.

What is the best way to handle this transfer, from her to me?

If she gives me a cashiers check for the amount needed for closing and signs a letter that the mortgage company has saying it's a gift and I do not need to re-pay her, do I have to pay tax on it?

HomeGuru

New Jersey/Virginia

My 70 year-old mother wants to take out a reverse mortgage on her fully paid off home. From the money she receives she wants to give me $80,000 to use as a down payment on a home.

What is the best way to handle this transfer, from her to me?

If she gives me a cashiers check for the amount needed for closing and signs a letter that the mortgage company has saying it's a gift and I do not need to re-pay her, do I have to pay tax on it?
**A: a not relevant question to the tax issue but what is the current market value of her property?

ShyCat

If she gives me a cashiers check for the amount needed for closing and signs a letter that the mortgage company has saying it's a gift and I do not need to re-pay her,
Yep, the mortgage company will require that. They probably have their own form to use for the "gift letter".

do I have to pay tax on it?
No, but your mother will have to file a Federal Gift Tax Return (Form 709). See IRS Publication 750 ( http://www.irs.gov/publications/p950/index.html ) for more details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">