• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I ever be able to be hired as a police officer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ian_Y

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a misdemeanor on my record which I have not yet been convicted of, and likely won't. It is a marijuana violation for which I am legally allowed to possess, so I must take it to court and have it dealt with.

Either way:

1.) If the charge is dismissed and the case is dropped which is more likely the outcome, when applying to police departments is this information still available, that the whole case was dropped and they can see I was originally charged?

2.) If I am stuck with the charge (I believe it is expunged after 2 years automatically?) I assume they can still see expunged records. Am I wrong?

With this on my record, would I still be elgible to be hired as a police officer? I don't suspect there is a law against hiring someone with a medical card. But, I could be wrong.

Does the same apply to border patrol, etc? Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a misdemeanor on my record which I have not yet been convicted of, and likely won't. It is a marijuana violation for which I am legally allowed to possess, so I must take it to court and have it dealt with.

Either way:

1.) If the charge is dismissed and the case is dropped which is more likely the outcome, when applying to police departments is this information still available, that the whole case was dropped and they can see I was originally charged?

2.) If I am stuck with the charge (I believe it is expunged after 2 years automatically?) I assume they can still see expunged records. Am I wrong?

With this on my record, would I still be elgible to be hired as a police officer? I don't suspect there is a law against hiring someone with a medical card. But, I could be wrong.

Does the same apply to border patrol, etc? Any help is much appreciated, thanks.
**A: you have a long hard road ahead.

msiron

After about 5 years (in the past) you should have no problem applying and likely some department will hire you. You MUST tell the truth on the applications at all departments, when they do a BG they will 99% find out.... you don't want to look like a liar. no no. Be upfront with your BI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">