• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a conviction???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guiltyme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Let me give a little background history here. 17 years ago I went shopping with a friend. I bought things and she used her 5 finger discount. I truly did not know she was shoplifting but that is neither here not there. The police were called and they took us to the station and questioned us. Even there she kept telling them that I did not know what she was doing. The police kept going through my purse looking for something that would take off the ink tag security devices. I didn't have anything so the police told me they would charge me with contributing to the delinquency of a minor because they felt I had her do the shoplifting while I was a "lookout" for her and grand larceny.(I was 19 she was 17)
After searching through my purse they found a marijuana pipe. The police then said they would charge me with possession as well.
The police ended up charging me with larceny and possession of marijuana although it was a pipe and not actually pot that they found.
Two days later I spoke with a public defender and he told me that they would drop the charges to two counts of disorderly conduct and I would recieve a deferred sentence, fines and had to attend NA/AA classes and nothing would be on my record.
I fulfilled my obligations and believed it was all over and done with. I am in a line of work that I have to have FBI fingerprinting done now and I am worried that this will come up. I don't have any files or records from this incident and I contacted the municipal court and they destroy records after 5 years.
I was able to look at the file that is still online and all it states is "case is close" and for the conviction date it doesn't have any date or information. (Yes, it is still searchable online after 17 years but only at that municipal courthouse. It doesn't show up on any other online court docket search.)
First, do I have a conviction if there is not a conviction date on the file? It doesn't state dismissed only the date of the offense, pled guilty and disposition date but no date for the conviction.
Is deferred sentence considered probation. I didn't have to meet with any probation officer i just had to go to NA/AA classes and went to court after 6 months.
I don't remember what was said at the court other than the judge saying he hoped he never saw me again. I have never been in any trouble again.
I know that I have an arrest record but do I have a conviction of a misdemeanor or not?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">