• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

firing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marizzo

After working for local county government (elected officials) for 16 years here in ga I was asked to resign. My question is when they gave me the option to resign or be terminated so it would not be on my record, should they be allowed to put i was terminated due to poor attendance and work habits? i was written up two months prior to my termination because i took my lunch hour at 12:00 instead of 1:00. the office manager was on leave and I okayed it with the acting supervisor. my attendance was due to my father having a heart attack. (i missed two days) i tried to collect unemployment unsuccessfully, and at the hearing my supervisor said i did the work required. according to human resources this information has to stay on my record because of open records law. i feel the only reason they wanted me to resign was so i couldn't collect unemployment marie

ALawyer

This sounds very unjust and many states and local governments have civil service review boards to deal with things like this. Under the family leave act you'd have had some rights to attend to ill parents and for family emergencies.

Quite frankly, it may make sense to speak to a lawyer and see what rights you, as a long time employee may have. And if you have a union ask it to intercede -- this is one circumstance where a union can help big time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">