• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

17 years old.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikki_3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I have a question, I'm 17 years old and I've been living with my grandparents for 9 years. Over the 9 years I have dealt with daily emotional abuse such as being called an Idiot, telling me I'm no good and will never amount to anything, saying they wish they never adopted me, how they can't wait till i'm not there ect. And in the past my grandma would slap me on my face or my back but lately that as stopped. Last night we were arguing because I bought a Christmas tree and I had my friend help me carry the stuff in and they told her to leave. My grandma started yelling and went to slap me and I grabbed her arm to keep her from hitting me and my ring knicked her arm. My grandpa got mad and started smacking the back of my head, my face, and ears. He also said if I messed up again he was going to "slit my throat and wathc me bleed." I left to stay with a friend because I didn't want to stay in the house.
My question is, is there a way for me to move out and live with my friend and her mom and them not be able to force me to stay with them anymore? I've been through the DHS system and don't want them to get involved. I graduate from high school in May.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I have a question, I'm 17 years old and I've been living with my grandparents for 9 years. Over the 9 years I have dealt with daily emotional abuse such as being called an Idiot, telling me I'm no good and will never amount to anything, saying they wish they never adopted me, how they can't wait till i'm not there ect. And in the past my grandma would slap me on my face or my back but lately that as stopped. Last night we were arguing because I bought a Christmas tree and I had my friend help me carry the stuff in and they told her to leave. My grandma started yelling and went to slap me and I grabbed her arm to keep her from hitting me and my ring knicked her arm. My grandpa got mad and started smacking the back of my head, my face, and ears. He also said if I messed up again he was going to "slit my throat and wathc me bleed." I left to stay with a friend because I didn't want to stay in the house.
My question is, is there a way for me to move out and live with my friend and her mom and them not be able to force me to stay with them anymore? I've been through the DHS system and don't want them to get involved. I graduate from high school in May.

**A: if you do not want DHS involved, what do you want from us?

nikki_3

I'm asking if there is a way around getting DHS involved, because that would be pointless, by the time DHS got everything together I'd be graduating. Can I tell them I don't feel safe at home and just pack my clothes? Would that be considered running away?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm asking if there is a way around getting DHS involved, because that would be pointless, by the time DHS got everything together I'd be graduating. Can I tell them I don't feel safe at home and just pack my clothes? Would that be considered running away?
Call the police.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are asking whether or not there is a law that will allow you to leave at the age of 17 without being removed from the home by DHS but under which you cannot be forced to return home, no, there is not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">