• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I-9 information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MParsons

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
It was just brought to my attention that there are people who have been working for our company since long before I started that might not be legal. I looked over all of the I-9 documents and it all looks ok. We are now using E-verify but it doesn't allow you to go backwards in time. I'm not sure what steps I should or can take next and I'm concerned that I can be held personally responsible.
Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
First, you will not be held personally responsible.

In the unlikely event that your I-9's are ever audited, the auditors will not expect you to be an expert on valid and invalid documentations. If the forms look as if they could be genuine, the worst that will happen is that you (meaning the company, not you personally) will be given a slap on the wrist and told to be more careful next time. (This is not the case if they are obvious forgeries.) But truly, unless you are a 20 year veteran of the CIA's Technical Services Bureau, all the Feds are going to ask of you is that you do your best to see that the documents appear, to the best of your ability to determine, to be genuine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">