• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Layoff vs. demotion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jdom

layoff vs. paycut & new job for refusing to do illegal things

i am executive administrator in California. Yesterday, my employer told me that he was trying to reduce expenses and i would be laid off or i could accept another position (clerical) at a lower rate of pay. He hired another person one month ago to assume most of my responsibilities. The company gets involved in illegal activities. I have refused to do the illegal things asked of me. This person has been assuming my responsibilities since he was hired. I also found out yesterday that this person will assume all of my current responsibilities at my current rate of pay. can they reduce my pay and put me in a lower position in this way for refusing to be involved in illegal activities? It is obvious that he is not looking to reduce expenses but move me out of the way. Interestingly, yesterday the new person did his first illegal thing that I have refused to do.

[Edited by Jdom on 02-24-2001 at 04:03 PM]

B

buddy2bear

Common sense tells you that if you are requested to perform a duty for which you are being paid, either legal or illegal, and you refuse to do it, then the company will find someone who will do it and you will eventually be out of a job.

If they are doing something you believe to be illegal, then call your State's Attorney General, with the understanding that either way, you will soon be without a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">