• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible to Divorce Parents? DE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jess24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

I found out that there is no statute for emancipation in Delaware.
So, here are a few questions..

1) Since emancipation is out of the question, I would like to know...

Are there other ways besides getting my parents permission to move out (which isn't going to happen..don't get me wrong, I really don't have a problem with respecting my mother and listening to her advice..but she has EXTREME control issues. Not only is that the reason my father divorced her 12 years ago, that is also most of the reason that my "stepfather" and her have problems. I think it is very sad and unfortunate for myself that I realize that she tries to control every-single-little-detail but she does not) that I could do to be able to actually move out legally?

Another..

2) I turn 18 in about 10 months.

Is it legally safe for me to move out of my mothers house the day I turn 18, without needing her permission or even telling her?

3) There are maybe 2 things that I own that my mother has bought for me. These things are little things, just an old futon that I don't even have the mattress for and my television which I use maybe for an hour a week, not really big deals for me. Most of the things that I own were bought by my father, whose house I brought these things from when I moved in about 8 months ago. The rest of these things were bought by me.

I have this feeling (because of her control issues and some threatening things she has said before) that my mother will try to say that I am not to remove anything from her house. Is it possible that I could get in trouble for taking my belongings when I move out?

Thank you all for your advice and comments. Everything is majorly appreciated.

mommyof4

Jess, I answered your question already. The answer won't change no matter how many different sites on which you post the question.

You need to either report the situation at home or talk to someone who will.

You need to talk to your father about moving back in with him if your parents are willing to allow that.

If your father has the reciepts for the things he has purchased, then HE can take them back.

When you are 18, you're free to go.

Isis1

you really want control of your life when you turn 18? then leave the day of. with nothing. if your dad paid for something, let him handle it with your mom. i also left when i turned 18. i wasn't allowed to take anything. not even childhood pictures, books, or keepsakes. my sister stole one blanket for me that i've had since i was 10. not taking anything in her house gave me any and all freedom. she has no hold on me and never will. everything i own i paid for. she can never walk into my house and take credit for any portion of my life now. i still have no regrets as far as she is concerned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">