• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edgewater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am the owner and president of an S-corp that has been paying unemployment taxes for five years. I work primarily on annual contracts providing human resources consulting services. Neither of my two main clients is re-signing for 2009 because of the economy. This leaves me with no income and basically unemployed as of Jan 1. I will be closing the corporation and laying myself off. I've searched the internet and come up with conflicting information, and the unemployment office is so busy right now that I can't get through. Can I file for unemployment?

Thank you so much.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Can you FILE? Yes, you can always file.

Will you be granted benefits? That's too state and situation specific for a message board to guess.

edgewater

I apologize - I thought that was why they asked for the state - so that only someone qualified to answer would do so.

eerelations

Whew! What an attitude! I had something to tell you on this subject, but after that comment I think I can't be bothered...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You expected a message board to be able to give you a definite answer as to whether you would be granted unemployment or not? Boy, did you set your sights too high.

The only ones "qualified" to give you a carved in stone response would be someone who actually works for the Ohio UI commission. If any of the responders meet that definition they have not so identified themselves.

You were providing human resources consulting? No wonder you went out of business.

edgewater

You completely misinterpreted my response. In re-reading it, I see how if said in a sarcastic tone it could be taken in another way. I assure you that was not my intention.

What I meant was that I thought the state was given so that legal professionals familiar with that state would address the question and others would skip by it.

mlane58

You completely misinterpreted my response. In re-reading it, I see how if said in a sarcastic tone it could be taken in another way. I assure you that was not my intention.

What I meant was that I thought the state was given so that legal professionals familiar with that state would address the question and others would skip by it.
When it comes to unemployment, it makes no difference what state you tell us you are from. There are way too many varibles involved to make a speculated guess and again depending on your indiviual situation, only the hearing officer who handles your claim can make the determination.

edgewater

Thank you for that succinct, logical response free of personal insults or slams against my business practices.

eerelations

Thank you for that succinct, logical response free of personal insults or slams against my business practices.
Hey - you admitted that your comment in your second post could easily have been misconstrued as nasty! And please note, mlane58's "succinct, logical response" came after you apologized.

Again, whew, what an attitude!!!

ecmst12

I disagree, your attitude prompted the responses you got. All of which were legally correct and appropriate. You're welcome!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am the owner and president of an S-corp that has been paying unemployment taxes for five years. I work primarily on annual contracts providing human resources consulting services. Neither of my two main clients is re-signing for 2009 because of the economy. This leaves me with no income and basically unemployed as of Jan 1. I will be closing the corporation and laying myself off. I've searched the internet and come up with conflicting information, and the unemployment office is so busy right now that I can't get through. Can I file for unemployment?

Thank you so much.
Were you receiving a salary?

In Wisconsin you can

if you have enough quarters in like everyone else.

and If you were on the payroll not just here and there salary

but don't listen to me..call your unemployment office.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">