• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sick time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

faithnlve

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? vt. Hi all and Merry Christmas to all. My question has to do with an issue where I am working which is upsetting to many of us at work. Part of our benefits is accumulated sick time, a weeks vacation each year. I myself have a "set" schedule. Now the issue is our employer has put a new policy in place which goes as such: If you are sick on a weekend you are scheduled to work whether you have used your sick time or not. The weekend you were out has to be made up another weekend at the discretion of the supervisor. If you do not make up this weekend then you will be written up and after three write ups fired. Now many of us including myself have a set schedule which includes every other weekend. I was sick last weekend for the first time in 2 years. I was called into the office reprimanded and told I HAD TO WORK this weekend which is my normal scheduled time off. They claimed this was only a verbal warning even though it was in writing and I had to sign it. I was pretty darn ill....and not too happy since I have covered so many other weekends for them when needed. Thanks...Faith

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You haven't asked a question but if what you want to know is whether this policy is legal, yes, it is.

There MAY be some exceptions when FMLA or the ADA is involved but for the most part the employer CAN make this requirement.

ecmst12

However if working on your normal weekend off means that you will have worked more then 40 hours for that work week, then they have to pay you at overtime rates for the extra hours (assuming you are non exempt). If the policy is going to result in them paying a lot of extra overtime, I would expect that it won't last long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">