• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired For Looking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SENTHOME

New Jersey

I have just been told by my boss that I have been terminated and my replacement will start in two weeks. The reason she is terminating me is beacuse she found out from a collegue in the field that I was interviewing for a new job. I did not get a new job nor have I given her notice that I am leaving. Is this legal??What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, it is legal. I'm not saying I agree or approve but it is not prohibited by law.

CraigFL

From an employer's point of view - Once I know you're a short time employee, I might as well let you go and find a replacement. Even though you didn't get the job this time, next time you might. I wouldn't want you to spend the next few weeks telling your fellow employees here all the good things you think moving on will be....

Hot Topic

Sure it's legal. How does she know that you weren't interviewing when you claimed you had a dental appointment? Or checking out a job opening when you were supposed to be home suffering from the flu?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">