• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questionable dismissal from work, reside in Alabama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BigDCool33

I was recently terminated from employment with a tax preparation service for actions of a questionable nature, or at least that is my understanding of it. I was unable to go into work one morning this week, the previous evening, I called to inform them that I'd like to leave a tad early that following day because of a job interview I had, but the following day, I had some personal difficulties getting to work, so I called the office and left a message on the machine, thinking that one of my supervisors may be in before my scheduled time. One of the owners called me later that day and requested my presence at the office that evening around 8-9pm. I was justifiably concerned, so I went there around 3:30 that afternoon and asked if I could speak with her. We went to the back room and I was beraded was questions, obscenities, told at one point I was quote "Too dumb to read a phone book" (regarding getting her home number to call them for notification of not being able to make it in). I was also asked if I kept a list of clients. i said yes, because in the past (I had worked for this firm 3 prior seasons to this one) I kept a log of the receipt number, last name, and commissionary fees I would get for each individual return. She also said and I quote "Are you afraid we would screw you...do you count every damn dime" pardon me for the vulgarity. I left that office feeling like nothing and I still feel like I was not in the wrong. I live in the state of Alabama and the right to work laws are that you can be hired, fired etc, for any reason, or at least that is my understanding of it. At one point I was told I had received several complaints, but the supervisor said "It's my perrogative not to say who they are." I feel if my log book was a problem, why didn't they say anything in the past years...or if they want employees to call them at home they should provide us with a contact number in case of emergency. As it stands now, I am owed commissionary fees in the area of $1,100 to $1,400 dollars, at the beginning of the season, around the third week, I was also cut back to thirty hours per week for these "questionable actions" My main point of this is to find out about receiving commissions.
If anyone can offer help I do appreciate it, I tried to be as brief as possible, but I had to say what all happened.

B

buddy2bear

If you have earned the commissions, then you are owed the commissions. Write a letter to the company stating exactly how much they owe you and why. Give them 10 days from receipt of the letter to send you a check. Send it by certified mail, return receipt requested.

At the end of 13 days, if you do not receive a reply or a check, then contact your State's Wage & Hour Division and file a charge against them.

B

BigDCool33

Thanks Buddy, I was asked by a friend if I had reasonable grounds for emotional distress...but I don't know if that applies. Can my boss' wife (office supervisor also) stand there and curse me out in front of other preparers, clients and her husband???
When I wrote my first statement, it didn't occur to me to ask. I'm probably going to go to my local library and read on this also. Any other advice would be appreciated my friend.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">