• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restitution reduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

forminsko

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Several years ago a friend of mine, of his own volition, revealed to his employer that he had embezzled money from the company. The company did not press charges but because the crime was committed through the mail, it was turned over to the federal authorities. They prosecuted him and he was sentenced to time in prison. He served (I believe) 2 years in prison and 2 1/2 years probation after that. His probation is over now, but he owes $400,000 in restitution. He is a secretary and can barely make the monthly payments as it is, much less hope to pay off the entire amount in his lifetime. I am hoping I might find some resources for him to explore to possibly get the amount of the restitution reduced. Is there anything he can do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">