• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just trying to get an idea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HotrodPez

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.

I will spare you the details, since I don't think it will make much of a difference. I was recently arrested for felony menacing. I got into an argument with my girlfriend while holding a knife. I was highly emotional, but not intending to cause harm or fear. She did not want me to get arrested. I have no prior anything, and have cooperated as best I could so far. I am out on bail right now, and I am just wondering what I might expect when I go to court. I KNOW that I COULD face jail time, but I've heard both outcomes from many different people. Some say that I will have barely any sentence, and others say I could face 8 years in prison. So what do you think will be the most likely or common outcome for this type of case?

cyjeff

Where were you when the incident happened?

If not to intimidate or threaten, why were you holding a knife?

Do you live with your girlfriend?

HotrodPez

I was in my house. She had come over to talk about our relationship because we were having some troubles. She does not live with me. I ended up getting very emotional. I really can't explain why I picked up the knife, it just happened. I would never want to hurt her.

FlyingRon

"Wanting to hurt her" isn't necessary for menacing. Making her fear that you would hurt her (whether you intend to carry through) is the operative part of that statute.

It's in the F5 range which is 1-3 years in jail.

HotrodPez

Would a judge consider sentencing me with no jail time only probation? Or a deferred sentence? Basically what are my chances of not going to jail?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">