• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Resignation not Termination - Setting the record straight!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nvidia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Are there any laws that I can use to have my former govt. employers set the record straight as I resigned and was not terminated?

I recently resigned from a high level position in local government after less than a year. I’d come from the private sector, therefore was accustomed to a very professional work environment. To my dismay, the leadership there (and I use the term lightly) were extremely unprofessional. Rather than treating their subordinates as such, they instead constructed an environment of fear, threats and retaliation, assuming the roles of tyrannical parents who decreed that all would do as they said, when they said, and how they said should be done … or else! To make matters worse, 75% of time (unfortunately, this is not an exaggeration), they were doing things incorrectly, ignoring set procedures and guidelines, thus, wasting tax payer monies. I finally decided to extricate myself from this situation, thus, put in my resignation. Prior to my tenure, there was another individual in my unit that had put in his resignation and given them two weeks notice. They promptly handed him a box that day and told him to leave. Shortly thereafter, he received a certified letter in the mail stating that his resignation “was not accepted” and that he was terminated. They did this for two reasons, 1) because they have an extremely high turn over rate, thus, wanted it to seem as though the individual was a problem rather than them being the problem 2) because their tyrannical parent approach to management, grounded in ego, would not let them do otherwise. Knowing their vindictive ways, I sent my official notice of resignation via next day service to ensure there was a proper record of my resignation and I stated that the date of my letter would be my last day. True to form, I received a certified letter in the mail stating that my resignation was not accepted and that I was terminated. As this will affect me in future when pursuing and securing other job opportunities, naturally, I want the record straight. Thus, my question, are there any laws that I can use to have them set the record straight as I resigned and was not terminated?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your resignation wasn't accepted. You were terminated.

Realistically, what does it matter? You will need to avail yourself of the opportunity to explain the separation to future employers anyway.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Thus, my question, are there any laws that I can use to have them set the record straight as I resigned and was not terminated?

No. Regardless of the circumstances, there are no laws you can invoke to force your employer to consider it a resignation instead of a termination.

Which you will be glad of when you go to file for unemployment.

Hot Topic

I suspect that a case could be made for termination since I doubt you kept your feelings about what you perceived were management's shortcomings to yourself.

I worked with an individual who, as required by the company, gave his two week's notice. They had him leave immediately. That's not unusual if they want to bring someone else in or they think the departing employee may not be productive for the two weeks.

ecmst12

Of course, if you WERE to file for UC, you can bet they'd produce your letter of resignation in a hurry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">