• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do i drop a restraining order protecting a minor if its against me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adianb49

im in colorado and my girlfriends dad got a restraining order..shes 16 and im 20..he gave us permission to date before but now he got a restraining order..is there anyway i or she can get it dropped?

Just Blue

im in colorado and my girlfriends dad got a restraining order..shes 16 and im 20..he gave us permission to date before but now he got a restraining order..is there anyway i or she can get it dropped?
Short answer...NO! Stay away from the little girl.

Edit to add: This is not a Juvenile law issue...It is a Criminal Law issue.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
i need an alternative
To what? Dad says you leave his daughter alone, you leave daughter alone. How hard is that to understand? You two are not Romeo and Juliet and she is no longer your girlfriend. :rolleyes:
Dad has asked a judge to issue a restraining order and obviously, the judge has done so. Consider yourself lucky that Dad has handled this in such a restrained manner. A lot of fathers would have personally taken care of the issue without involving the authorities. :cool:

adianb49

ive heard all that before and i already know it i just wanna know what the options are and if its legally even possible to get it dropped wether its for us to date or be friends thats all im asking

Antigone*

For Pete's sake the answer is NO.

You are not going to get a different answer no matter how many times you ask.

The Occultist

Yes, it is possible to get it dropped, when she turns 18 and is thus emancipated from her parents.

You can do nothing about this, and the girlfriend, being a minor, can do nothing about this. If you get near her, you can face some charges; two that come to mind are violating the restraining order, as well as contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Grow up, deal with it, and move on.

cyjeff

Just to clarify something...

A restraining order means NO contact... no telephone calls, emails, text messages, teddy bears in the mail, Christmas presents, notes through friends, notes attached to carrier pigeons, sky writing and telepathy.

In other words, as far as you are concerned, the girl died and didn't leave a forwarding address.

Isn't dating children fun?

CdwJava

ive heard all that before and i already know it i just wanna know what the options are and if its legally even possible to get it dropped wether its for us to date or be friends thats all im asking
Does the restraining order SAY you can "date" her? Or, as I suspect, does it prevent any and all contact - even through a third party - under penalty of arrest and incarceration?

You are lawfully required to comply with the judge's order.

When the girl reaches 18, if she so chooses she can go to court to request the order be dropped and the two of you may set up house together. Until then, she's literally "jail bait" for you.

Oh, and I particularly liked Cyjeff's plutonium analogy!

- Carl

cyjeff

But look on the bright side.

All of this compulsive "I have to see her no matter who says no and how do I get around her parents' wishes" thing gives them plenty of justification for the renewal of the RO.

Oh, you thought I meant bright for YOU? No. Not so much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">