• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was not registered owner of car on date of parking violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mpark

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

The City of Long Beach kept sending us a bill for a parking violation of a car for which I was not the registered owner on the date of violation (I confirmed registered owner information multiple times with the DMV). Around June 2007, I sent them an angry-ish letter (for the 3rd time) stating that they needed to check their records and to stop harrasing us with bogus claims for which we were not legally responsible. Then heard nothing until today when I got a bill from a collection agency for the same violation. What is the best course of action?
Thanks for any guidance!

Michelle

CraigFL

We need more information on this one because it sounds like there was a transfer of ownership around the time of the violation and the actual date may be in dispute. Is this a car you "sold" and are no longer an owner or did you buy it and register it afterwards?

mpark

The transfer of ownership happened about 10 years before the date of violation (!). It was a leased car that was returned to the car company after the terms of the lease were over. Heard absolutely nothing about the car for aout 10 years until we got the bill for several hundred dollars saying the bill was past due. DMV records clearly state another person as the registered owner-- they also were puzzled that we would get such a notice, but thought it was just the city going down the list of previous owners and trying to get whomever they could to pay up. I'm pretty sure we have no legal responsibility for the bill, but I want to know what happens now that they've turned it over to a collection agency.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">