• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not Guilty? Loaning driver's license to 20 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DairyStateGirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wisconsn

I was issued a ticket for loaning my driver's license to a minor. My record is clean and this is my first offense. Should I plead not guilty, get a lawer, or just pay the fine?

Here are the details:
I reported my driver's license stolen months ago and I was reissued a new one. I later found the old drivers license and kept it in my purse.The girl (minor) was trying to enter a bar. She was never caught, she was never given any alcohol (the bartender confiscated the licenses), and none of her personal information is known.
I was very drunk at the time and remember few detais about the night. I know I did not give her the license, but in my state I could have mentioned I had an extra one and then she took it from my purse.
The cops stopped me in the middle of the street by chance, and caught me. The cops tried to guilt-trip me into confessing by saying they would tell my boss of what I was supposedly doing. I answered back, they pulled in closer, I slipped on the ice, and then they handcuffed me because they said I was resisting arrest. They never read me my rights. Next thing I remember is being inside the cop car and the cop badgering me saying that I was acting and that I was not drunk. The entire time I repeated that I was drunk and didn't know what was going on. I blew a .15. The cop threatened to put me in jail if I didn't confess. i don't remeber if i did or not. The cops then let me go with a $361 ticket.
My friend and my boyfriend were witnesses to the whole thing. They told me that the cops were too rough with me. The next morning I had bruises and a massive hang over.

So should I pay the ticket and plead no contest? Should I plead not guilty? Should I get a lawyer? And how bad is the crime if I am convicted? Is my record ruined? My only concern is that I don't remeber if I confessed to something I didn't do. It could turn into his words against mine. I remember feeling like my only option was to confess to the damn thing so I could not go to jail. I should have kept my mouth shut but I was drunk. I

FlyingRon

What on earth makes you think you are not guilty. You did it, you confessed. Your only argument seems to be that you were drunk and the police told you that you had to confess. You know, that's what they do.

You see what the penalty is.

You plead guilty, you'll be found guilty.
You plead no contest, you'll be found guilty.

You plead not guilty barring any defense you've not show us, you'll be found guilty.

If you want to fight it, you need a lawyer.

In the future, avoid being intoxicated to the point of not being able to control your behavior in public.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">