• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unsigned Employment Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cupid75

I was employed in Washington, DC and live in Maryland. I was recently fired from my job without cause. My employer mentioned to me that I signed a contract for employment. The contract basically stated that my employer was an At-Will company. However, I never signed the contract. Do I have any recourse?

B

buddy2bear

Maryland is an at-will State. Even if you did not sign anything, if you are not a member of a union or have an employment contract that does not state "at-will," you can still be fired for anything or nothing. Most of these "contracts" are basically non-competes and a lot of times, these employers draft them themselves to save on legal costs. Sometimes they make "stupid" mistakes. If you want to find out if your employer made a "stupid" mistake trying to save a dime, then you will have to consult an employment attorney.

C

cupid75

Fired in DC

Thanks Buddy for your reply. But I still need to know if Washington, DC is an At-Will State. For, that was the state that I was employed.

B

buddy2bear

Last time I checked, D.C. was not a State, even though they wish they were!

You have "at-will" and "right-to-work."

At-will -- can be fired for any reason or no reason.

RTW - you have the right to work without belonging to a union in order to work at a company and without having to join a union in order to work at a company.

So far, I believe that as non-union that is all the choices you have, so, basically, every State is at-will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">