• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fired after 20+ years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mellenwood

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My sister worked for a national, well-known, upscale health/gourmet food retailer for more than 20 years until she was fired last week. She worked in HR, and the reason for termination was that she had made errors in data entry of I-9 forms. She was never warned and had never had problems at work prior to that. Her coworkers are shocked. She was not given any severance or even notice. I was wondering if there was a case to be made there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My sister worked for a national, well-known, upscale health/gourmet food retailer for more than 20 years until she was fired last week. She worked in HR, and the reason for termination was that she had made errors in data entry of I-9 forms. She was never warned and had never had problems at work prior to that. Her coworkers are shocked. She was not given any severance or even notice. I was wondering if there was a case to be made there.
Of course there is a case to be made. The case to be made is that your sister should be more careful. (The termination was legal)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not based on what you've posted.

The law does not require warnings or previous problems before you can be fired for a performance issue. While MA is one of the three states where severance is sometimes required by law, this is not one of the circumstances in which it is required.

If you have additional facts that you think might change the answer, please post them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">