• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should my dad change his will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raiden2012

Hello, my dad made his will out a few years ago and has made all three of his children equal beneficiaries. Since then, my younger sister, has become addicted to meth, has been arrested for selling, possesion and indentity theft. She has jumped bail, has warrants out for her arrest and owes God knows how much in fines.
She has gotten in so much trouble, that I feel its time to step in and tell my Dad to change his will, to leave her out, for fear that the Goverment will sieze the inheritence for what she owes.
Obviously she "could" change, but I fear until she steps up to clean up her act. I am wanting to hold onto the money so my sister could get a fresh start when the time comes. But as it stands now, they can and will take it all. Am I right?

curb1

I agree with your feelings, as long as you are being honest about this. What does Dad say? What does your other sibling say?

Raiden2012

Should Dad change his will?

Sister hasn't been in contact with my Dad in quite a few years. Their relationship went from bad to worse since my Mom passed in 2001. She has been on her own pity pot and is rolling around in her own drama. Dad was a big time alcoholic and was abusive to us and my sister always held a grudge(he's still a jerk without the booze, but thats for another forum). He was the first of her victims of indetify theft. She tried hitting me up for bail on many occaisions(glad I didn't). When she was in jail, I gave her money to put on her account and wrote her letters and visited her trying to get her to see the light. The court awarded her one more chance to go to rehab or face some jail time. They gave her this chance before to go to rehab and she was a "no show" at treatment. She lives far and has no license and that was her excuse for not going. I went to court and said I would take her if nessessary. The rehab they set her up for was in treatment care in Spokane, WA(we live in Seattle, WA. The court pulled some strings for that privlage.(This was in March of 07). They gave her bus voucher, so she could go, I was about ready to buy her some clothes so she could get by, and guess what, No show AGAIN at treatment. That was the last time we spoke. Since then my dad has received a letter from a bail bonds that she jumped bail, yet again(she uses his address still and mine if she is not too wacked out to remember). Pretty pathetic Huh?

curb1

You said, "Pretty pathetic Huh?" Yes, it is sad that a person can get that far out that they can't be reeled in. How is your other sibling?

It's your dad's decision if he wants to change his will. While you can talk to him about it, I would avoid placing any pressure on him.

Something that he might consider is a provision that your sister is only entitled to receive a share of the estate if, at the time of your father's death, she has been clean of illegal substances for at least three years, and is facing no criminal charges. Otherwise, the children's portion of the estate would be split among your brother and yourself. Handling this properly might involve a trip to an attorney to get tight language down so that your sister does not wrongfully inherit. The attorney could also advise you on what, in your state, would be the proper procedure for making a determination of your sister's drug use status at the time of your father's death.

Raiden2012

We all suffer from a certain degree of arrested development. I am the "Janet Jackson" of the family. Normal, but far from it. I have a good career, husband, and home. Except, I had committment fobia and never married until I was 40, to a man older than I he was 55. I am sure that was because of how abnormal my family life was. Anyway, I feel slightly cheated, as now I have no kids and looks like I never will.
My brother is 43, no wife, no kids(non that I know of) he works full time, and has had up to two jobs at one time, while still living with dad. He goes to Check Advance places because he lives pay check to paycheck-with no bills(at least no mortgage, no food, no utilities) why is he broke I have asked that questions too many times to count. He has a good heart, but has issues. I am the excecutor of the will and wish I could even put stipulations on what $$ he gets, but that won't happen. he will squander it I am sure. Anyway not for this to turn into a couseling session. I was just trying to get advice on jusifying my dad changing his will..

anteater

As others have said, it is your father's decision. Lay out what you see as issues and, then back off and let him decide what to do. If you get too involved, one or both of your siblings could raise issues of coercion or undue influence when your father passes away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">