• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrongful termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

richbarkeep

I live in Ohio which is an at-will employment state. However, I have worked for a fortune 500 company for over 4 years. On the application which I filled out prior to my employment I stated that I had a criminal background. A year after my employment with the company I was contacted by my general manager and had to give the details of my criminal background. I was told I was an important part of their staff and was told to continue the good work. Three years later I was removed from the schedule and told I could resign or human resources would be there within an hour to fire me. They forced me to resign because of my past criminal record. The same record which had been discussed 3 years prior. Our company policy is 3 written reprimands for the same instance constitutes termination. I was not granted this policy. Do I have any legal rights?

JETX

I was not granted this policy. Do I have any legal rights?
The 'policy' only applies to your conduct as an employee. The fact that the company has 'changed their employment policy' as to your criminal history is NOT covered under that policy. Further, the employer has the right to set what crimes they will allow and which they won't. And yes, they can change their mind.
Not 'wrongful termination'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">