• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid off 3 months after maternity leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LaidOff2008

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I worked for a consulting firm that did a round of layoffs on Monday. (In our region they laid off about 13 people.) When they gave me the news they stated they were eliminating my position. I asked them why and they said they were eliminating positions based on whether they feel someone is staffable long-term on client projects and performance.

Back in August I returned from 3 months of maternity leave and in September I was staffed on an internal project that lasted until the day my position was eliminated on 12/8/08. I have always had very good performance reports for the three years I was employed with the company. So, I'm not sure how they can say I am unstaffable.

On another note, I know for a fact there are several people still employed that have had repeatable poor performance and have not been staffed on a client or internal project for a long time.

I feel I'm been discriminated against because I had a baby and I wasn't staffable.

I welcome any advice you have.

Thank you.
Holly

ecmst12

What reason would you have to connect this to the baby you had 6 months ago? Simply the fact that you had one is not much of a reason. There are dozens of (legal) reasons they could have chosen you instead of others, and they don't necessarily have to tell you the exact reason they had, so long as it was legal.

It also appears from my brief search that discrimination on the basis of family status is NOT prohibited by law in your state, so even if they did choose you because you have a child, you may not have any recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">