• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POD Payable on death accounts in New Jersey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomwilla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I know New Jersey still has inheritance and estate tax. My question is if I add POD (payable on death) on a CD in NJ then I died will this CD still be subject to the inheritance and estate tax if my estate is over the 6600,000.00 limit. I understand in other states it would not but I do not know about NJ since it still has the inheritance and estate taxes.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

Yes it would. You are still the owner even if you add a beneficiary definition.

I don't know of any state that still has an estate or inheritance tax that would unequivocally exclude assets simply due to a beneficiary designation.

FlyingRon

If you are worth close to $7M you can probably spend some time with an estate planning attorney to do things properly rather than guessing. I got a nice package deal for $3K that included for both me and my wife: revocable trusts, wills, powers of attorney, advance medical directives, medical powers of attorney, as well as having our existant real property transfered into the trusts and instructions on what we should do with other assets like various retirement and insurance account beneficiaries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">