• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cplr 3212-nys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steinwaypianist

NYS
I have taken out a small claims suit against an employer in Nassau County, NY on 10/01/08. I was told then that the trial date would be on December 17 at 6 PM. I have received no contact from the court, but apparently they notified the employer. The attorney for the employer sent me a large dossier on December 10 and I received it today (December 12). In it it says that this represents a Motion for Summary Judgement to dismiss the complaint. The return date for this motion is what is confusing. The return date listed is January 7, 2009. Does this mean that (without my having had any contact from the court) that the trial set for December 17 has been adjourned (postphoned) until after January 7?
Do such motions automatically postphone trials? After all, January 7 is three weeks after the currently scheduled trial date. Thanks:

You Are Guilty

Legally, no. (In fact, in some cases, it can speed up the trial date - check out 3212(c)).

However, as a practical matter (99%+ of the time), no judge will start a trial with a summary judgment motion pending. Just too much danger of wasting the time and effort trying a case which might be dismissed by the motion. (The times it does happen are primarily because the judge wants to punish someone by forcing them to trial).

Problem is, small claims is a free-for-all and the various rules are not always strictly complied with. Safest bet, by far, is to be prepared for trial and appear for the December date, with full expectation that the case will actually be adjourned to January (or later).

If that is too burdensome, you can try calling the clerk's office before the 17th and let them know there's a SJ motion pending and ask for the adjournment yourself. They may want something in writing from you before they'll grant it, but as the plaintiff, you have some latitude in the speed at which the case gets calendared.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">