• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Most qualified but not hired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lbowen61

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

A friend of mine recently interviewed for a job he had held in the past, but left honorably to pursue other work. He was contacted by his previous Project Manager and asked if he would like to return, his company needed to fill the position quickly and would prefer to hire someone that could go right to work with little training. He was not promised the job but encouraged to apply. Eight individuals applied, he was the next to the last of the day. During the interview his previous supervisor stated on two occasions that none of the other applicants compared, he was "by far the most qualified". The Supervisor also stated how well he fit in with his team when he worked there in the recent past. It was announced the next day that another applicant was hired that had interviewed earlier in the day. One that had no experience in the job but attended prayer service with the Supervisor. Does my friend have grounds for a grievance of unfair hiring practices?

Thank you

justalayman

no.

what would make you believe otherwise. If the boss wanted to hire a person that could not read not write but kissed his ass well, it is his choice and not illegal.

Now, if you are inferring there was religious discrimination, that could be a different thing. BTW, it is not discrimination to hire a person for their religious beliefs over another. It is descrimination to not hire a person specifically because of their beliefs.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Nor does any law state that the most qualified person has to be hired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">