• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son was fired today...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uofmfan2

In Michigan department store my son was fired today for using his employee discount illegally--- which for space constraints--- he didn't do. The supervisors had him write out a statement that he had done wrong, sign it and then fired him. He has some learning disabilities so did as he was told. Is this appropriate for the employers and in signing this, does he lose his ability to receive unemployment. Thanks in advance!

Just Blue

In Michigan department store my son was fired today for using his employee discount illegally--- which for space constraints--- he didn't do. The supervisors had him write out a statement that he had done wrong, sign it and then fired him. He has some learning disabilities so did as he was told. Is this appropriate for the employers and in signing this, does he lose his ability to receive unemployment. Thanks in advance!
How old is your son? What is his disability?

uofmfan2

Son is 25 and...

learning disability is one of dyslexia and others diagnosed through high school-- I doubt anything that qualifies for the American with disabilities act, but explained why he did as he was told by singing the note and afterwards was fired.

cyjeff

I didn't know dyslexia prevented you from understanding an allegation of theft.

In other words, if he didn't do it, why did he sign a confession that he did?

Just Blue

learning disability is one of dyslexia and others diagnosed through high school-- I doubt anything that qualifies for the American with disabilities act, but explained why he did as he was told by singing the note and afterwards was fired.
As a dyslexic myself, I am truly offended that you would suggest that dyslexia would prevent your son from understanding the allegations and consequences of signing that paper.

Unbelievable!:mad:

uofmfan2

He's the kind of kid...

who would do anything a "superior" would tell him to do. I guess my bigger question is whether this precludes him from getting unemployment. Is this why companies do this type of thing-- for unemployment benefits and/or covering their butts?

cyjeff

who would do anything a "superior" would tell him to do. I guess my bigger question is whether this precludes him from getting unemployment. Is this why companies do this type of thing-- for unemployment benefits and/or covering their butts?
No, typically they do this kind of firing to prevent further theft.

And yes, this will prevent him from getting unemployment.

uofmfan2

Wait a minute.....

As a dyslexic myself, I am truly offended that you would suggest that dyslexia would prevent your son from understanding the allegations and consequences of signing that paper.

Unbelievable!:mad:
read my note above it's dyslexia and multiple other undiagnosed/ unlabeled learning disabilities--- I just didn't want to go into a 4000 word disertation--- nothing implied by "dyslexia" I just felt it was the easiest for people to relate to--- I'm a physician so certainly not putting dyslexia down-- my bad!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">