• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Yanked from under me!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tuneman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I have been employed by my firm now for 15 years. The first 7 years I served as a mechanical drafter and 6 of those 7 years, I served as the lead drafter. For the next 7 years, I served as a mechanical designer, taking my drafting experiences and applying them to my design position helped me to become a well respected and in demand designer. About 1 year ago, the drafting supervisor (not a manager position) retired. I applied for the job and was interviewed along with 5 other candidates. I was offered and accepted the position with pride. For the past year, I turned a struggling drafting department with 10 drafters into a well oiled machine with much praise from my new boss, project managers, and mechanical designers as well. There are 2 divisions in engineering, commercial division and consumer division. I ran the commercial division drafting (10 employees) as a supervisor and another gentleman ran the consumer division drafting (3 employees) as a manager. History has proven based on the quality of work produced that the consumer division drafting was sub par and the manager of that division really didn't have the knowledge or experience to run this department.

Wednesday of this past week, my company did some reorganization and it was decided to combine the 2 drafting departments (my 10 guys and his 3 guys). I was quite happy, assuming I may get a chance to apply for this position (I never assumed it would be handed to me) because it would give me an opportunity to fix a broken area of engineering. Well, to make a long story short, this manager from the consumer drafting department was handed the job, my 10 guys and his 3 guys. Engineering as a whole was quite surprised by this move because he was not qualified to run this staff and has proven this in the past. When I asked my manager why he was given the position and I wasn't considered, he said it was because they didn't know what to do with him or where to put him. Just for the record, my manager see's it as a huge mistake as well because now this new guy will be reporting to him and I am on the outside looking in.

There has been an endless stream of people, from drafters all the way up to program managers questioning this decision, which by the way was driven from the consumer division, the division this other manager worked for. My question is this, if this is a supervisor position that I applied for (my 10 guys in commercial), was interviewed for, and accepted and well respected for, can they just hand this over to someone else less qualified without ever going through the official hiring process again (applications, interviews etc)?

I should point out that I do still have a job, which is a very positive thing these days. They slid me back into a design position under my old manager and I will assume that role on January 1st 2009. I was a designer, saw an opportunity for change and applied for the drafting supervisor position, was hired, excelled and was highly respected, and then had the job yanked out from under me. The other gentleman is a good man, just not the right man.

I'm just trying to sort all this out. Can anyone shed any light on this for me? I look forward to any and all responses.

Thanks for listening,

Tim

anteater

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Not certain what it is that you want light shed on.

From your post, there is certainly nothing illegal that has occurred.

Businesses make bad staffing decisions. That is not against the law. For yiour sake and the business' sake, maybe they will recognize that it was a bad decision.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">