• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid ticket from 5-6 years ago getting in the way of getting license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RHJS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

So I just turned 18 last month(Nov. 8th) and I went to the DMV to take my written test and when I was just about to take it the lady at the desk printed out a paper that said I had an unpaid ticket and I had to go to court to see what happened so I couldnt take the test that day. The next day I went to court and the lady told me that I had a ticket for PETTY THEFT from 5 years ago! It was crazy because I have never gotten a ticket IN MY LIFE. So they make me take a paper and mail it with a copy of my ID to some higher court or something I guess and they told me it would take 3 months to just get a RESPONSE.

Now my question is, is there any way I can get the ticket waived so I can get my license ASAP? I want to get it cleared or excused so I can take my written test already. I mean it wasnt even my fault, I didnt get a ticket, I never got any ticket in the mail or ANYTHING.

I need my license ASAP because I start college next month and if I dont get my license by then, then I will have no transportation to school(it is almost an hour drive from my house).

If I were to go to court again and explain myself again about how I didnt even receive a ticket and say that I need to get it cleared asap for school, will they do it? I CANT wait 3 months just to even get a response(the process will probably take much longer than that because it is just a response they said, I will have to then go and pay for it etc.

thanks in advance

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

So I just turned 18 last month(Nov. 8th) and I went to the DMV to take my written test and when I was just about to take it the lady at the desk printed out a paper that said I had an unpaid ticket and I had to go to court to see what happened so I couldnt take the test that day. The next day I went to court and the lady told me that I had a ticket for PETTY THEFT from 5 years ago! It was crazy because I have never gotten a ticket IN MY LIFE. So they make me take a paper and mail it with a copy of my ID to some higher court or something I guess and they told me it would take 3 months to just get a RESPONSE.

Now my question is, is there any way I can get the ticket waived so I can get my license ASAP? I want to get it cleared or excused so I can take my written test already. I mean it wasnt even my fault, I didnt get a ticket, I never got any ticket in the mail or ANYTHING.

I need my license ASAP because I start college next month and if I dont get my license by then, then I will have no transportation to school(it is almost an hour drive from my house).

If I were to go to court again and explain myself again about how I didnt even receive a ticket and say that I need to get it cleared asap for school, will they do it? I CANT wait 3 months just to even get a response(the process will probably take much longer than that because it is just a response they said, I will have to then go and pay for it etc.

thanks in advance

Did you steal from someone/store 5 or 6 years ago? Be honest...there are records to support their assertion of the incident.;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You could pay the ticket and work with the various agencies to have it refunded once your name is cleared.

outonbail

Did you steal from someone/store 5 or 6 years ago? Be honest...there are records to support their assertion of the incident.;)
I also noticed how he emphasized the fact that he never received a citation, but not once did he say he didn't commit the crime,,,,

RHJS

6 years ago is a long time ago and I did a lot of stupid **** in middle school like ditching, stealing, everything.

You could pay the ticket and work with the various agencies to have it refunded once your name is cleared.
How? I would do that if it will help me get my license sooner.

I also noticed how he emphasized the fact that he never received a citation, but not once did he say he didn't commit the crime,,,,
You're right. I didnt get any citation at all but not gonna say I've never commited any crimes(6 years ago I was a stupid kid). But I really did not get any ticket in the mail or in person(my parents would have found out anyway)

Just Blue

6 years ago is a long time ago and I did a lot of stupid **** in middle school like ditching, stealing, everything.

How? I would do that if it will help me get my license sooner.

You're right. I didnt get any citation at all but not gonna say I've never commited any crimes(6 years ago I was a stupid kid). But I really did not get any ticket in the mail or in person(my parents would have found out anyway)
Well...ONE of the many "stupid things" you did is coming back to bite you on the butt. Pay the fine and get it done with.

RHJS

Well...ONE of the many "stupid things" you did is coming back to bite you on the butt. Pay the fine and get it done with.
You think there's a way I can get my license before next month though? Like a waiver from the court and take it to the DMV so I can take my test?

I just need take my written test so I can drive before school starts, I wish I could pay it in advance.

So is there any way I can still take my driving test? Like I said, I cannot wait 3 months because I need it before school starts.

Last edited:

outonbail

Find out who the agency was that issued you the citation and what court you were supposed to appear in.
Then go to that courthouse first thing Monday morning (when they open) and go to the court clerks window. Ask the clerk if they have the file and tell him/her that you would like to pay the fine or see the judge on the matter if necessary.

Follow the clerks directions.

RHJS

Find out who the agency was that issued you the citation and what court you were supposed to appear in.
Then go to that courthouse first thing Monday morning (when they open) and go to the court clerks window. Ask the clerk if they have the file and tell him/her that you would like to pay the fine or see the judge on the matter if necessary.

Follow the clerks directions.
So you want me to go back to juvenile court (I cant ask over the phone because something about privacy policies blahblah) and ask what court I am supposed to appear in? Do you think they are able to do that? Because when I was there the last time they said I had to mail a letter to the court to get a response. I wish the juvenile court would just answer phone calls so I can ask simple questions without having to drive an hour away to just ask a question/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">