• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copyright law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

williegan

I'm a marketing analyst for a lender company that provides loans to students. Part of my job function is to gather/buy data about student loans originated by other lenders/banks from external sources/vendors.
We purchased copyrighted data from vendor X. As an analyst, I go through the whole database for analysis. Vendor X data is compiled in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access database.
Recently, I decided to start up my own business selling student loan data to lenders. I purchased the data from the government through Freedom of Information Act. I compiled and produced the data myself (doing all these at home) using Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access. I created a front-end application using Microsoft Access.
The coding,format, and setup of my database is not similar to that of Vendor X, but the idea and the concept are the same, ie selling relevant information to lenders.
Recently I received a "Cease and Desist Infringement of Rights of Vendor X" letter from lawyer of Vendor X. They stated that I should cease doing what I'm doing or they will take legal action against me in court for obtaining material from them (while working for a lender) for the purpose of creating derivative and competing products.
Can they sue me even though the data I obtained are legal and the setup of my database is different from Vendor X? Please advise as I cannot afford a lawyer!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">