• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandfather's passing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

queen14

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My grandfather,Jim, passed away in IL. I am the oldest grandaughter. I am 20 and married. My grandfather only had one living child, Steve, (in 30's) and my mother which was his daughter passed away. Okay here is my question.... My Uncle Steve called me the other day and told me that my grandfather had about 5,000 dollars in savings, and his funeral expenses were around 6,200 dollars. He needed my address, sister's , and brother's so we can sign off on papers so the 5,000 dollars can go to the funeral arrangments. He said that if I didn't sign off that I would be responsible for paying half my grandfather's funeral, because I am the oldest grandaughter and of age. He also said that if I don't pay then they will put a lean against me. I don't understand why I would have to pay when I didn't sign any paper work or anything for that matter. I mean he is the son so shouldn't he be the one paying?? I did find out that my grandfather didn't have a will as far as I know. Do I really have to pay when I am the grandaughter?????:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

justalayman

no.

you don;t have to pay but you don;t have to sign off on the money either. The distribution of the estate is dealt with through probate and the estate funds can be used to pay for the funeral. Whomever signs for an amount above and beyond what the estate can pay for will be liable for the balance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">