• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Savings Bond Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phoenixafter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IA

My Grandmother passed away and I found out She had savings bonds in my name. I think Her SS# would be attached to the bonds and I have never seen or signed them. I know I was written out of the will for reasons beyond my control but could the other family members prevent me from receiving the bonds because I was written out of the will or have the bonds always belonged to me?

FlyingRon

If the bonds were purchased in your name, they are yours. It doesn't matter if you aren't in the will, they were a gift to you at the time your name was put on them. The death doesn't affect that. You may have to do some sleuthing to find them so you can cash them in though.

phoenixafter

OK But...

Would these bonds be under the estate and not released until the estate is settled or am I able to collect them immediately? I think they are in the possession of the law office handling her estate. Are they required to give them to me immediately? My calls to relatives have not been returned. -Thanks

anteater

Would these bonds be under the estate and not released until the estate is settled or am I able to collect them immediately? I think they are in the possession of the law office handling her estate. Are they required to give them to me immediately? My calls to relatives have not been returned. -Thanks
You don't have enough information for anyone to provide an answer. For example what does "She had savings bonds in my name" mean exactly? And how do you know if you have never seen them?

Have you contacted the attorney handling the estate?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Visit the website TreasuryDirect and you can find a phone number for assistance. If you can't find it there, you can visit any local bank that sells savings bonds and they can give you the phone number or explain how to redeem. The Treasury Department can check their records by name and SSN and it should be easy to find out how they are titled. Most likely it goes directly to you under right of survivorship and all you will need to do is endorse them if you want to cash them in.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">