• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid spenddown and home repairs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KChrome

My mother, 84, lives in Kansas and due to some injuries and dementia will have to move into a nursing home soon. She's of limited means and will have to spend down her remaining financial resources to qualify for Medicaid to pay for her care. I know that she'll be audited when she applies for Medicaid and the program will look over five years of her finances to determine if she has made gifts or transfers of funds that would be penalized.
For the last 15 years my mother has lived in a condominium owned by my brother and I. It's fallen into disrepair and she would like to hire someone to fix some of the problems on the property. My question is whether, if my mother pays to have substantial repairs made to the property, she will be penalized for those expenditures when Medicaid looks back over her finances because she is not the owner of the property? Is there a limit as to how much she should spend?
Any advice would be most appreciated.

Kiawah

I suspect the depth that they go into, might vary by state and county. However, having just recently gone through this with my MIL, I ended up having to dig up info on a $43 deposit that was almost 2 years ago that they wanted to see the details on. I don't know whether it was just a test of record keeping or what, because I couldn't imagine why they might consider that important at all. Luckily, I've been anticipating this and have scanned and saved every bill, record, and account for the last number of years. I could only imagine that a multi thousand dollar bill for maintenance items would be questioned since the asset wouldn't be on her asset listing. Since it's your property, it would be a gift to you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">